Monday 1 October 2012

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE NIGERIAN COUNCIL OF REGISTERED INSURANCE BROKERS, MR PATRICK IKPONMWOSA

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE NIGERIAN COUNCIL OF REGISTERED INSURANCE BROKERS, MR PATRICK IKPONMWOSA, AT THE INVESTITURE CEREMONY OF THE LAGOS AREA COMMITTEE HELD ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27TH 2012 IN THE INSURANCE BROKERS HOUSE, YABA, LAGOS


The President of the NCRIB and Amazon of Insurance Broking profession in Nigeria, Barr. Laide Osijo, FIIN, FCIDA, FCIB

My spiritual father, ably represented by Mummy,…..Amaga Distinguished members of the Governing Board here present

My predecessor in office, Mr. Tunde Oguntade

Past Chairmen of the Area Committee

My respected Executive members

Distinguished colleagues

Ladies and Gentlemen

Today marks a significant day in my life. It is a day that opportunity is being presented to me, providentially, by the Almighty God, to give service to my noble profession and by extension, humanity. It is an opportunity to further the biblical charge which states that  all those who intended to lead must first take the step to serve. I am here to serve.

Let me at this point give profound  appreciation to the Almighty God for making it possible for the Lagos NCRIB to attain its present height. I also wish to commend the foresight, dedication, and tenacity of purpose of my predecessors whose efforts have seen us to where we are today. May God continue to reward their labour of love. It is most gratifying to note that the  successful, itch free take-over of the reins of leadership being witnessed here at the moment bears eloquent testimony about the to the positive leap of the Area Committee in ensuring effective succession plan.

I like to crave the indulgence of all to commend the progressive leadership of the Council under Barrister ‘Laide Osijo, a woman whose sterling performance has no doubt re-defined the place and position of the insurance broking profession in the comity of other reputable professions in Nigeria. She has doggedly demonstrated a rare passion to see the NCRIB grow professionally and ethically. I like to state that her desires to see the Area Committees become the first call of all practitioners has awakened the spirit of commitment of members as well as strengthened the Council at the grassroots. I pray the Almighty God to continue to endow you with strength like the unicorn and wings as the eagle to excel more brilliantly in office.

Please permit me also to appreciate my dear indefatigable predecessor, Tunde Oguntade, for his untiring enthusiasm and commitment to the growth of this Area Committee. I must say that Tunde’s boundless energy and commitment put many of us on our toes and propelled us to take greater responsibilities in the affairs of the Area Committee. I promise not to lower the standard that you have laid.

While governance  or administration is a continuum, it is the mark of vision and commitment for any leader to have a a clearly stated goals to be achieved in office. Consequently, I like to present the following as my thrust of office for which I shall rally the Support of my able Executive members;

INSURANCE STAKEHOLDERS ENGAGEMENT

I am most delighted to inform you that under my tenure, the Lagos Area Committee will initiate ingenious stake holders’ engagement for the benefit of the insurance broking profession. With the support of the national body, we shall constantly create avenue for interaction between insurance brokers and strategic stakeholders, especially in government circles. It is my belief that most of the misconceptions about who insurance brokers are and what they do has been caused by ineffective communication with these  relevant stakeholders. This initiative would definitely complement the monthly professional lectures currently being hosted by the Area Committee.

ENHANCED CORPORATE SOCIAL RELATIONS

Through the grace of the Almighty God, the EXCO under my leadership shall accelerate the pace of the Corporate Social Responsibility and position the Council as one of the most responsible corporate bodies in Nigeria. We shall compile and log in into some begging needs in our environment secure more acceptable image mileage. In this vein, we shall consider Awards, scholarships and endowments in some selected educational institutions, starting from Lagos, which is our primary jurisdiction.

SUSTENANCE OF STRATEGIC PUBLIC AWARENESS PROGRAMMES

As you are all aware, the strength of insurance lies in the extent of its acceptance by those it is supposed to serve. During my tenure, the Area Committee would address greater attention to public awareness crusades to major potential clients. We shall be more visible in schools, ports, licensing offices and other spots to present insurance to the people. It is my belief that if people could identify genuine insurance and practitioners, the days are over for charlatans and fakes.


SUPPORT TO THE NATIONAL BODY

Whilst appreciating the past strides of my predecessors in this regard, I promise that my tenure would improve on relationship and support to the national body. Being the closest to the national body, the Lagos Area Committee have the bounden responsibility to do all within its powers to support the body towards implementing its lofty goals. Notably, the Area Committee will complement the national body in the area of training and human resources. We shall periodically undertake research to distill training needs of members and coordinate our efforts with the national body.

Our profession has reached a stage where members must be constantly attuned to the changing dynamics of the broking profession both within and outside the country. 

 CONCLUSION

May I conclude my address by extending my hand of fellowship to my fellow EXCO members. Without you I cannot succeeded, but trust that you will give me your support. Together we shall succeed, God willing.

I thank you all for the opportunity given me to serve and promise not to fail.

No comments: