Wednesday 5 February 2014

Family pushes for insurance companies to cover autism treatment

A 9-year-old girl and her family are trying to get the state to force insurance companies to cover treatment for autism.

Ava Bullard and her family came to the state capitol to ask lawmakers to put "Ava's Bill" up for a vote.

Doctors diagnosed Bullard with autism early on. She got treatment, but it was expensive. Her mother said it cost up to $50,000 a year.

"I think that they should pass this law. I'm very thankful for my treatment, and I think other kids should have it as well, not just me," said Bullard.

The insurance industry has concerns over the costs.

The bill remains in the insurance committee. The Bullards hope they can get it out of the committee and onto the floor for a vote this session.

Source WSB-TV


 

No comments: