Tuesday 11 August 2015

“CONSOLIDATING THE GAINS OF THE INDUSTRY FOR NATIONAL ECONOMIC GROWTH” BEING THEME OF THE ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BY LADY ISIOMA CHUKWUMA ON THE OCCASION OF HER INVESTITURE AS THE 47TH PRESIDENT OF THE CHARTERED INSURANCE INSTITUTE OF NIGERIA ON TUESDAY AUGUST 11, 2015 AT THE FEDERAL PALACE HOTEL, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS.


Protocols.
This indeed is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice in it and will be glad. Please join me therefore in rejoicing and celebrating the day and to thank the Almighty for counting me worthy of His divine favour.
Indeed, there are but few privileges in life which are greater than being favoured with the opportunity to become President of one’s Professional Body. Let me acknowledge that this is not by my power nor by might but by the Spirit of the Lord, for there are many who eminently qualified to be President of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria. It is therefore a unique privilege and will remain indelible in my life.
I am most elated as I stand before you to deliver my first public address and acceptance speech as the 47th President/Chairman of Council of our great Institute. The significance of today’s event is underscored by the presence of very eminent personalities from all walks of life, including some of my predecessors, chieftains and captains of our industry as well as icons of our profession whose exalted presence I sincerely cherish.

INCURSION INTO THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY
In the lives of most great men and women, providence had to play a significant role in paving the path they had to thread. My case is not an exception, for irrespective of my university degree in the Arts, French, in particular, I was led into making my incursion into the Insurance Industry by providence, or by accident as many would say. My choice to study French was well guided as I then had useful insights of the importance of French as a requirement for securing a job in the Ministry of External Affairs (Now Foreign Affairs) and ultimately fulfilling my ambition of becoming an Ambassador.
But that Ambassadorial dream was never to be or perhaps I should say has not materialized or you could say with certainty that I am now a proud Ambassador of our great Institute, the Insurance Industry and the feminine gender as a whole as the 5th female President of our great Institute, thereby blazing the trail of my predecessors. They are:
Ø  Mrs. C.M. Okpaise (1981)
Ø  Late Erelu O.O. Aina (1990)
Ø  Mrs. C.A. Rowaiye (1996/97)
Ø  Mrs. Oluseyi J. Ifaturoti (2005/2007)
The most Glory belongs to the Almighty God for my foray into the Insurance Industry. I must however give credit to three persons who played significant roles for leading me to an Industry I knew very little or nothing about before 2nd January 1980 when I was employed as a Graduate Trainee in the Nigeria Reinsurance Corporation, the Premier Reinsurance company in Nigeria. My previous stints as a teacher, first as a Youth Corp teacher at the Army Children’s School in Yola, in the then Gongola State (Now Adamawa State) and later at the Lady of Apostles Secondary school, Yaba in Lagos, were a far cry from my ambassadorial dream.
In that frame of mind, I desperately needed a job which could approximate to my dream. It was at this point that my late friend, Mrs. Lizzie Onianwa gave me a link to her Uncle Sir Henry Omo who in turn opened the way to meeting Professor Joe Irukwu who was Managing Director of Nigeria-Re at the time. The rest is history.


CHALLENGES
As is to be expected, it wasn’t all rosy, permit me therefore, to state that there were huge challenges on the path of remaining in Nigeria-Re to date. The first bothered on the criteria for promotion, especially in the early years. At the time, you could say you were guaranteed accelerated promotion only if you were professionally qualified or had passes in some subjects of the professional examination. This posed a huge challenge considering my background in the Arts, but I was able to surmount this by dint of hardwork and resoluteness. To the glory of God, I qualified in 1990 as an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute (UK), having passed the then required 9 subjects in 3 sittings.
The second challenge had to do with the wave of restructuring and consolidation which came with their attendant staff rationalization. Being able to survive these and to become Managing Director in 2009 is worthy of note. I must however give due credit to my respective bosses who believed in me and gave me the opportunity to prove myself.

JOURNEY TO THE CIIN PRESIDENCY
My foray into the Insurance Industry in 1980 became the remote beginning of my journey to the Presidency of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria. But in earnest, the journey actually commenced when I became a member of the CIIN Offices Representatives’ Committee (ORC). I then became a co-opted member of the Governing Council of the Institute when I was elected the Chairman of the Offices Representatives’ Committee in 1999, following my committed membership of the ORC. I subsequently contested a proper seat on the Governing Council of the Institute and remained a Council member ever since.
In these sixteen years of service on the Council, my path to the Presidency of our great Institute had become well paved, especially with the various positions I held during the period. These include:
Ø  Past Chairman, Accreditation Committee
Ø  Past Chairman, Mandatory Continuous Professional Development (MCPD) Committee
Ø  Past President, Professional Insurance Ladies Association (PILA)
Ø  Member, Membership and Professional Standards Committee
Ø  Member, Activities Committee
Ø  Member, Education  Committee
Ø  Hon. Treasurer of the Institute
Ø  Chairman, Governing Board of the Centre for Insurance and Financial Management Studies.
Ø  Deputy President of the Institute
Distinguished Colleagues, Invited Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, the rest is history. Our gathering on this glorious day marks the epochal destination as I become the 47th President of our Institute and the 5th female to occupy the exalted position as I pointed out earlier. I dare say that women have taken their rightful position in an industry that used to be male dominated and I believe this is the case in other sectors of the economy. During Mrs. OluseyiIfaturoti’s Presidency in 2005, destiny was at its best when it thrust upon the shoulders of women, the Presidency of CIIN, CIBN and ICAN, during the same period. Today, the women are once again taking the centre stage in a most remarkable coincidence in which my Deputy is also a woman. She is Mrs. Funmi Babington-Ashaye who will become the 48th President by the Grace of God. 
Whilst I am not canvassing a feminist agenda, permit me to state that the women have proven to be dedicated and committed leaders all over the world. We hope and pray for the day a female President will emerge in Nigeria, with the trail already blazed in nearby Liberia.


CONSOLIDATING THE GAINS OF THE INDUSTRY FOR NATIONAL ECONOMIC GROWTH
I can say without equivocation that our great Institute has attained the enviable level where we can celebrate the Legacy of Continuity as exemplified by the programmes of my predecessors. The cheering new era marks the pursuit of growth agendas for our great Institute over and above the promotion of any self-glorifying agenda.
The theme of my Presidency is therefore borne out of the conviction that we can achieve greater success for our Institute and the Insurance Industry as a whole if we consolidate on the gains the Institute has made in the last few years whilst leveraging on such gains of the Industry for National Economic Growth. As we are also aware, the global economy is transiting from the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We are therefore on the right path and should sustain the trend.
Against this background, the following projects will be reinforced and up-scaled.

1.      Promotion of the ideals of the Insurance Industry Consultative Council (IICC)
The establishment of the IICC and its landmark success in enthroning Insurance Industry Unity cannot be over-emphasized. We shall reinforce the gains of the IICC, especially the sustenance of the Industry Mega Conference of which the just concluded Maiden edition will remain a reference-point.
2.      Reinforcing the huge potentials of the Centre for Insurance and Financial Management Studies.
The Centre shall be given further prominence through sustained publicity geared at tapping fully into the opportunity for human capital development for the Insurance Industry.


3.      Situating the CIIN on the global stage:
This will involve articulated efforts geared at enhancing the Institute’s certificate for global acceptability, especially by up-scaling the collaboration with the Chartered Insurance Institute (UK).

4.      Promoting Insurance Awareness by increasing the visibility of Insurance in national consciousness
We shall aim at achieving this through publications in the print media. Courtesy visits will be made to key Newspaper houses to garner support for the awareness programme.

5.      Follow-up on the recognition of the CIIN Certificate by the Head of Service of the Federation.
We will ensure that all necessary approvals are obtained so that our certificate holders are appropriately placed in the Civil Service structure.

6.      Further work on achieving wider coverage in the presentation and distribution of the Institute’s sponsored Insurance Textbook for Senior Secondary Schools.
In  pursuit of this, the following states will be brought into focus: (Osun, Delta, Imo,  Enugu, Anambra, Abia, Niger, Kogi, Benue and Plateau) Publication of the book is a landmark achievement of the Institute and should therefore be given greater prominence in the teaching and study of Insurance as a subject in Secondary Schools in Nigeria. The proposed Launching/Presentation of the Book at the National Level will also be pursued to its logical conclusion.

7.      Renewed Pursuit of Training for Insurance Teachers on a National scale.
This will focus on States within the South-South, South-East and North-Central geo-political zones of the country. The Train-the-Trainer project is a veritable platform for upscaling Insurance education and ensuring that insurance teachers possess the required skills for imparting the necessary knowledge to the future generation of insurance practitioners.

8.      Completion of the Institute’s Examinations Syllabus Review
We will take urgent steps to conclude the review of the Examinations syllabus with a view to commencing its implementation. It is pertinent to state that the syllabus review exercise has provided the opportunity to widen the scope of the Institute’s examinations to include Insurance Broking and Loss Adjusting routes. The dynamic business environment coupled with the increasing demands on the Professionals make the syllabus review compelling in order to further enrich the contents and technical depth of the examinations.

9.      Commencement of work on the Institute’s Victoria Island Property
My predecessors, Messrs.’ F.K. Lawal and Bola Temowo took firm charge of the outstanding issues which had militated against the resuscitation of the Victoria Island Building project. The Institute had finally secured the Building Plan Approval from the Lagos State Government thereby scaling the last hurdle to actual commencement of construction works on the project. With this latest development, all encumbrances to further development works on the project had been removed. The next stage is to determine the funding/development model to adopt for the project.

10. Pursuit of the expansion of the Institute’s examinations to countries in West , East and Central Africa sub-regions i.e. Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe etc.
This will be pursued with vigor in order to extend the frontiers of our professional examinations. During this dispensation, we will also reinforce the success recorded with regards to the existing off-shore examination centre in Banjul, The Gambia and the most recent centre in Kigali, Rwanda.


11. Promotion of CIIN members’ benefits.
No efforts will be spared in ensuring that CIIN members get more value for their membership. In particular, we will focus on delivering continuous education programmes as well as improving the platforms for engaging members on knowledge update deliberations on a more regular basis. Let me also stress that publication of more research based Journals, Newsletters/Contacts will be in the front-burners during this dispensation.

CONCLUSION
Distinguished Professional Colleagues, the task are clearly the responsibility of all of us while I pledge to provide the right leadership in order to expedite action on all fronts. Fortunately, the Governing Council is blessed with committed members whose passion for growing our Institute cannot be over emphasized.
As I accept the mantle of leadership, I wish to pledge with every sense of seriousness and commitment to promoting the goals and objectives of our great Institute.
Let me end by once again expressing my profound gratitude to everyone who has found time off their busy schedules to be here today to honour us. I wish to thank very specially, Chief Ade Ojo, Chairman of both Elizade Motors and Custodian & Allied Insurance for accepting to chair my Investiture ceremony today.
Let me also thank my Investiture Committee, Chaired by our respected Past President, Mr. FataiKayodeLawal for their painstaking efforts in ensuring the success of this ceremony:
-         Barr. (Mrs.) LaideOsijo
-         Mr. SakiruOyefeso
-         Sir M.O. Oyegunle
-         Mr. Rotimi Edu
-         OtunbaYeleAkinrolabu
-         Dr. (Mrs.) YesideOyetayo
-         Mrs. AdetutuArusiuka
-         Mrs. AmakaNzewi
-         Mr. Kola Ahmed
-         Mrs. Anne Dike
Thank you for your attention and God bless you.

LADY ISIOMA CHUKWUMA, ACII, AIIN
President/Chairman of Council
CHARTERED INSURANCE INSTITUTE OF NIGERIA

No comments: