Monday 24 August 2015

PM’s speech inspires MCB councilor to gift insurance policies to women

The Times of India

Meerut: With Raksha Bandhan just a few days away, a Meerut Cantonment Board councilor came up with a unique gift for women. Vipin Sodhi from MCB's ward number 8 on Sunday organized a camp in which women residents were given free life insurance policies under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna (PMSBY).

When asked what prompted him to take such an initiative, Sodhi said, "During his UAE visit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the nation to gift insurance policies to sisters on this Raksha Bandhan. That's when my wife Savita came up with this idea. I approached the SBI officials and asked them to hold a camp for women voters of my ward. Around 300 of them took part in the vent which will most likely continue till Raksha Bandhan on 29th."

The councilor said that one of the reasons behind holding the camp was also to open bank accounts for women. "They believed in me and elected me. Now, it's my turn to do something for them. I will be paying the insurance premium for these women. We will also encourage girls turning 18 to avail benefits of such government schemes," he said.

Urmila Devi, who turned up for the camp, said, "Such initiatives can set an example for politicians and government officials. I am very happy to be a part of this event."

No comments: